Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Yay - I'm excited to introduce you to Laura Morita-Yeun this week. She is such a great photographer and really someone that inspires me both as a photographer and a person. She is amazingly creative and such a strong woman. I think that her love of life really shines through in her photos. And I've been lucky enough to meet her in person. And yep, she's that cool in real life too. You can check out more of her work on Facebook.
About the image…
1) Why do you love this image? Cuz my girl can jump crazy high, and she was having so much fun! I love how she jumped this time and love her expression and crazy hair.
2) What were your settings with this image? ISO 100, 1/100, f8. Shot with my Canon 5D Mk II, 24-105 f4 lens. This was with studio lights. I just got them and I'm still trying to figure them out and find my voice with studio work.
3) What do you love about Photography? My ideal client would be someone who was not afraid to be themselves in front of my camera. Someone who didn't just want the "smile at the camera" pictures and would trust in me. But since I love shooting children the very mostest, I find that they are always themselves in front of the camera. I guess I would want a child that was able to follow instructions, but still be pure and true to his/her personality.
4) What is a random thing about you? I have had a lot of concussions. I coulda been a jeenyus. I mean, genius.
5) What do you wish you would have known when you were first starting? I wish I had put my camera into manual a lot earlier. I had a digital SLR for a year before I switched it off of Auto. I've always had creativity, but being creative when you are in Auto and have your pop up flash going off just doesn't give you the image that you have in your head.
6) If you could be invisible for one day with your camera… I would probably want to follow another photographer around. And since I would be invisible, it would have to be someone that I thought wouldn't WANT me around, cuz otherwise I would much rather be visible so I could chat.
About your life?
7) What talent would you most like to have? Neverending creativity.
8) Did you go to college? What was your major? Yes. I went to UC Davis. I majored in Psychology, but ended up deciding on physical therapy my 4th year of college. I spent my 4th and 5th year of college getting all my physical therapy prerequisites. And you know what? I LOVED human anatomy. I was totally into the cadaver lab. I find it amazing that we are all built the same on the inside, but can be so completely different on the outside. So, I'm a physical therapist and work part time helping people get better. I love it. Who knew that physical therapy and photography would end up being my career path? I need to add some other "ph" words to the list. Maybe philanthropist? physician? phone repairwoman? Hmmmm....
9) What are you most proud of? I am most proud of my mothering skills. I feel like I am doing a very good job raising my children. The show a lot of love and respect to everyone. They have good manners and are just all around really very very sweet children.
10) What is the one thing that you tell every client? Be yourself.